Mar 24 2020

#An article on travel #An #article #on #travel

An article on travel


An article on travel

I am an international Ph.D. student in the US and am planning to write an article for a US-based magazine. I’m doing this to increase my presence and build a relationship with this publisher. They will probably expect to pay me for this, but I am worried that this will qualify as work that is not permitted under my F-1 visa.

Ideally I would write the article and accept any payment. Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Could I have them pay me in my home country?

Please note that normally a citizen of another country can write for a newspaper or magazine in the US without either residing in or having a visa for the US. So if I were in my home country right now this would not be an issue, it is just that I am incidentally in the US that makes me concerned.

put on hold as off-topic by Michael Hampton, David Richerby, reirab, bytebuster, Giorgio 17 hours ago

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • “Questions about immigration or moving for extended periods of time (studies or employment, among others) are off-topic. Our sister site, Expatriates Stack Exchange might be a better place to ask. See also the meta post Is it OK to ask questions about immigration?.” – Michael Hampton, David Richerby, reirab, bytebuster, Giorgio

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

For F-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

Even though you won’t have to leave the campus to write an article it will be considered “off-campus employment” when the magazine publisher is not part of your university.

So when you are still in your first year?
No go.

Have you been a student for more than 1 academic year?
Then you need to request permission before writing and submitting the article.

When the magazine and/or the subject of the article are related to your field of academic study, or when you’re studying journalism or similar, then you can make a case that writing such articles is practical training and you may be granted such permission.


Written by admin