Compare cheap travel insurance quotes with theidol.com  for holiday peace of mind
- Compare travel insurers and policies for one-off, year-long or backpacking trips
- Lost baggage, medical expenses and cancellation are all covered in a standard policy
- Get protection for just you, your whole family, or a group of friends, in one search
Your holiday starts with a travel insurance quote
- Unzip the Travel insurance suitcase to read guides and tips
- Don’t forget the suncream! Tick off our holiday checklist
The right travel insurance covers costly surprises while you’re away from home. A standard policy covers lost property, medical care, and delayed travel and may also include:
- Emergency medical care
- Personal liability to cover damage caused by you
- Lost and stolen possessions cover for luggage, gadgets and passports
- Cancellation protection covers delayed, postponed or cancelled flights
- Curtailment cover, in case you need to cut your trip short
Compare travel insurance policies with us and you’ll find independent Defaqto star ratings to help you choose, so you’re not buying blindfolded.
What you’ll need for a travel insurance quote
Getting a travel insurance policy set up is often straightforward, but make sure you have the following to hand:
- Personal and contact information
- Details about pre-existing medical conditions
- Whether you need single-trip or multi-trip insurance, or a backpacker/gap-year policy for long-stay trips over 30 days
- If you need cover for winter sports, a cruise or a business trip
- The start and end date
- Your destination
- 7.3 million Brits had a staycation in the first quarter of 2016, choosing to holiday in England 
Brits made 65.7m trips overseas in 2015, 13 million of which were to Spain 
Once you’ve shopped around and found a favourite, you can buy then and there, or call the provider if you have any questions.
Should you choose the cheapest travel insurance?
If the policy is unbelievably cheap, double check it’s right for your holiday plans.
For instance, if you panic buy on the way to the airport, it may not compensate you if your airline cancels.
Need to know more about travel insurance?
Read our guides and top tips for safe and secure holidaying, home or away, in the Travel insurance suitcase.
You’ll find helpful info about abandonment, baggage, legal expenses, delayed or missed departure and how much compensation you can expect if a flight is cancelled. You can discover why you need insurance, how much cover is required, if adventure activities are included, and why you should carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
And, you’ll be walked through optional add-ons and specialist cover, such as policies for over-65s, people with pre-existing medical conditions and scheduled airline failure insurance (Safi).
Read up about how long-stay travel insurance may affect your home insurance, and discover how you could benefit from travel insurance when holidaying in the UK or in a caravan.
We’ve also unearthed why doubling up on insurance could be a costly mistake, and how you can avoid claim rejections.
And finally, for sports holidays and cover, we’ve got the scoop on winter travel insurance, cover for skiing and other winter sports.
Most Christmassy places in the world
Salvage your Monarch holiday
How to travel with a mortgage
The five stages of a cancelled flight
Oversharing could ruin your insurance
Luxury for less: travel in style
How to combat bored kids in cars
Posted In: NEWS