#travel insurance cancel for any reason
Cancel For Any Reason Travel Insurance Plans
The Cancel For Any Reason is just that cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered (e.g. changing your mind). It s not Delay For Any Reason nor Interrupt For Any Reason .
Read Steve s helpful Blog post called Cancel Your Plane Ticket Or Pay The Change Fee? to learn how to correctly cancel your plane ticket so your Cancel For Any Reason coverage reimburses you for your airfare .
Here are some common trip cancellation reasons that aren t covered by Travel insurance as a standard reason, yet are covered by a Cancel For Any Reason Plan. Any of these events (and a lot more) are covered by a Cancel For Any Reason Plan:
- You want to cancel your trip because you don t feel safe at your destination. With the rise of global terrorism, there are a lot of places in the world that were fine to visit, but now they can give you pause.
- Along these lines, Civil Unrest and War aren t covered. If these things are happening at your destination, you probably won t want to go on your trip, either.
- You just don t feel right about leaving. Maybe you just have a feeling it s not a good time to go on your trip. Ever had that feeling and you were glad you listened to it? I have: I was very close to my Paternal Grandparents. On August 29, 1997 I had a strong feeling I should, without delay, visit my Grandma who lived 200 miles away. I left immediately and had the best visit I ever had with her! Exactly 2 weeks later she died in her sleep. And, I was privileged to give the eulogy at her funeral.
- You change your mind and don t want to go on your trip
- You get a new job and your boss won t let you have the time off
- Your adult children are idiots and their melodramas might cause you to cancel your trip
- Your child or grandchild s team which is normally in last place is now in the State Championship Finals
- Your already approved vacation comes at a bad time and you know it would be better if you didn t take your trip
- Even though you and your significant other are madly in love , you still want to have a way out (maybe that plants a seed of discord?). More on this below .
Here Are The Purchase Deadlines:
- The CSA Freestyle Luxe deadline is no later than 24 hours after your initial trip payment
- The Travel Guard Gold s Travel Guard Platinum s deadline is no later than 14 days after the date you made your initial trip payment
- The MH Ross Complete plan s deadline is no later than 15 days after the date you made your initial trip payment
- The Travel Insured Plus and plans deadlines are no later than 21 days after the date you made your initial trip payment
- The Travelex Max plan s deadline is no later than 30 days after the date you made your initial trip payment
All plans require:
- You insure 100% of your expected prepaid trip costs that would be non-refundable if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute. Note this exception. The MH Ross Complete and TravelSafe Classic Plus plans allow you to insure the full prepaid cost of any specific travel arrangement without having to insure the full value of all your travel arrangements. For example, if you are flying to a cruise and you select Air / Cruise as your Type of Trip on the purchase application, you have to insure 100% of the cost of the airfare and the cruise to have CFAR coverage on the air and cruise. If you just insure the cruise, but not the full prepaid cost of the airfare you won t have CFAR on the air and cruise.;
- You also insure within 14 30 days (depending on the plan) of the payment for those arrangements including the cost of any subsequent arrangements (or any other subsequent arrangements not made through your travel agent) added to your Trip; and
- You are not disabled from travel at the time you pay your premium and
- You cancel your Trip more than two days (MH Ross, Travelex Max TravelSafe) or forty-eight hours (CSA, Travel Guard Travel Insured) prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date. Tip: 48 hours does not equal 2 calendar days. Click here to see why not .
Important: There will be no coverage available under the Optional Cancel For Any Reason Benefit, if purchased if you insure an amount less than your total prepaid trip costs that are subject to any scheduled penalty on your Departure Date.
This is handy to know: I use the term scheduled penalty below. A scheduled penalty is the total amount of money you d lose at the time you cancel your trip. Cruises Tours typically have a penalty schedule. And if you have a non-refundable airline ticket the entire cost will be the penalty because technically you can t get any of your money back if you cancel your trip.
Here s a big drawback (besides the price the fact you don t get a 100% refund) in the Cancel For Any Reason coverage:
A trip cancellation claim that is paid under the Cancel For Any Reason coverage means that any benefit you would get from cancelling your trip for a covered reason is lost. For example:
- 2 people (significant others) are sharing a cabin on a cruise
- Even though they are madly in love they still get Cancel For Any Reason coverage (maybe that plants a seed of discord?)
- They have a falling out and one of them cancels their trip using their Cancel For Any Reason benefit
- The other person does not receive the benefit (as in getting any money from the claim) of the additional cost incurred during the Covered Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate (single supplement ).
If you carefully examine this policy wording, you ll see what I mean: (italics mine)
The Company will reimburse You, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage for Trip Cancellation, for the additional cost incurred during the Covered Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You has his/her Covered Trip delayed, canceled, or interrupted for a covered reason and You do not cancel.
The reason the traveler still going on the trip doesn t get their single supplement costs paid in a claim is because the Cancel For Any Reason coverage allows a person to cancel for a not-covered reason .
Here s how much these plans reimburse you if you use the Cancel For Any Reason benefit:
Posted In: NEWS